Center for Academic Service Learning
The UW-Superior Center for Academic Service Learning is the place on campus to find resources and information on community partnerships at UW-Superior.
Additionally, the AS-L initiative aims to make UW-Superior a regional leader in academic service learning, thus providing a distinctively public quality to UW-Superior's liberal arts mission.
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:00pm
What is Academic Service Learning?
What it is...
- is a pedagogy
- enhances students understanding of the course learning goals
- is a form of experiential education
- meets community-identified needs
- allows students to apply what they are learning in class in the community and learn while they are serving
- focuses equally on learning and service
- is reciprocal because it benefits both the student and the service recipient
- helps build partnerships between colleges and community-based organizations
What it isn't...
- internships, clinical's, or field studies which focus on learning rather than service
- volunteerism which focuses on service and the service recipient but not on students and learning
- free or convenient labor
- work for pay
- an "add-on"
- a stand-alone, one-time project that does not relate to the course learning goals